Monday, November 27, 2006

Sounds Good

Over a month ago, I tried to figure out the best configuration for my Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Surround Sound speakers and Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard, and I finally got some answers. I ended up emailing Logitech support, and although a bit slow, were definitely helpful.

So, here's what I learned:
  • Use the sound card for Dolby Digital and DTS decoding, instead of the decoder on the Logitech control console.
  • Use the X-Fi instead of the speakers to upmix stereo and mono audio to 5.1
  • Use whatever is easiest to control volume. This is most likely turning the volume level on the soundcard to 100% and using the control knob on the speakers to make adjustments.
  • Tune the bass using the subwoofer control on the Logitech console, not the X-Fi control. Similarly, leave the THX Bass controls on the X-Fi alone and manage bass with the Logitechs.
I still need to find out from Creative Labs where to adjust Line-in, Mic, and Recording levels--with the software, with the source for the line-in itself (such as the radio plugged in, etc), or with the controls on the X-Fi panel.

No comments: